- Chassis: LML/50/95
- 1k Miles Shown, TMU
- 2,580cc Lagonda DOHC Inline-Six
- Updated to Vantage Specification by Factory
- David Brown Four-Speed Manual Gearbox
- Steel Dust Paint
- Gray Leather Upholstery
- Burgundy Piping & Accents
- Chromed 16" Wire Wheels
- Hydraulic Drum Brakes
- Copy of Factory Build Sheet & Records
- Refurbished 1980s-2000
- Engine Rebuilt in 1980
- Invoices 1979-2000
BaT History (1 entry)
Your daily digest of everything
happening on the site.
BaT Alumni Gathering: June 25 in Seattle at The Shop – REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!
June 25, 2022
PVGP Schenley Park Race Weekend
July 23 - 24, 2022
Lake Tahoe Wooden Boat Concours d’Elegance
August 12 - 14, 2022
BaT Alumni Gathering – WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca During Car Week
August 20, 2022
BaT Alumni Gathering – The Shop in Texas
September 17, 2022
This 1952 Aston Martin DB2 is one of approximately 300 saloons manufactured during three years of production and was delivered new in Leeds, UK, on March 4, 1952, before being upgraded by the factory to Vantage specification a year later. In 1955, chassis LML/50/95 was fitted with a factory-replacement 2,580cc Vantage inline-six that was rebuilt during a 1980 mechanical refresh by Aston Service Dorset. The car was acquired in 1985 by an owner in Somerset who commissioned a multi-year refurbishment that included a repaint in the original shade of Steel Dust and a re-trim of the interior in the factory combination of gray Connolly leather with burgundy accents. Additional features include a David Brown four-speed manual transmission, twin SU carburetors, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, and chromed 16” wire wheels. This right-hand-drive DB2 was purchased and imported to the US by its current owner in 2015 and is now offered on dealer consignment with copies of its factory build sheet and service log, invoices from 1979 to 2000, owner’s literature, and a clean Missouri title.
The DB2 was designed in the wake of David Brown’s purchase of Aston Martin and Lagonda and debuted at the 1950 New York Auto Show. The model was based on a shortened version of the Claude Hill-designed steel-tube frame from the 2-Litre Sports and featured fixed-roof aluminum bodywork that was later joined by a drophead variant. Styling features include a forward-hinged hood section, a sloping roofline, and a single-piece grille that was introduced after the first 49 cars were built.
This example left the factory finished in Steel Dust and is said to have been refinished in red in the 1970s before being returned to its factory shade during the refurbishment completed in 2000. Bodywork during the project included the replacement of the door skins, part of the front panel, and front bulkhead finishers. The bumpers and other brightwork were re-plated, while the Lucas headlights were re-silvered.
Chromed wire wheels are secured by two-eared knock-offs and are wrapped in 6.00-16 Michelin Pilote tires, while a spare is secured inside the rear compartment. Stopping is handled by Girling hydraulic brakes with 12” drums at each corner.
The cabin was reupholstered between the late 80s and 90s in gray Connolly leather with burgundy piping, matching the trim specifications listed on the factory build sheet. Additional features include gray Wilton carpeting, burgundy dash upholstery, and burgundy door caps, the latter of which show areas of wear at points where the doors meet the body.
The three-spoke steering wheel is situated at the right side of a wood dash panel housing Smiths instrumentation including a 140-mph speedometer with an inset clock, a reverse-sweep tachometer, and a combination gauge. The five-digit odometer shows 1k miles, approximately 500 of which have been added under current ownership. Cracks are exhibited in the wood around the instruments, and the fuel level gauge, oil pressure gauge, and trafficators do not work.
The DB2 model’s 2,580cc Lagonda inline-six features dual-overhead camshafts and twin SU carburetors, and beginning in 1951, it became available in higher-compression Vantage form. According to factory service notes, this example’s powerplant was converted to Vantage specification in March 1953 before being replaced by a reconditioned Vantage engine in September 1955. An engine rebuild was performed in 1980 by Aston Service Dorset with high-compression pistons, .010-under main and rod bearings, and replacement cylinder liners, valves, and timing chains. Electric cooling fans have been added.
The David Brown four-speed manual transmission features synchromesh on the top three gears and sends power to the rear wheels through a 3.77:1-ratio rear end. The independent front suspension was overhauled by Aston Service Dorset in 1980 and incorporates trailing arms, a torsion bar, coil springs, and Armstrong lever-arm hydraulic shock absorbers. The live rear axle is located by a Panhard rod and trailing arms and also utilizes coil springs and lever-arm shocks.
The factory build sheet lists the original colors and component numbers as well as the conversion to Vantage specification in 1953. The factory service log shown in the photo gallery below lists the 1953 conversion as well as the installation of a remanufactured Vantage engine in 1955. Engine number LB6B/50/538 is shown stamped on the block in the gallery below. Also shown in the gallery are invoices from the engine rebuild and the refurbishment work performed between the 1980s and 2000.