No Reserve: 1946 ERCO Ercoupe 415-C Project
- Serial Number: 306
- Tail Number: N87133
- 842 Hours
- Air-Cooled 188ci Continental Flat-Four
- Sensenich Fixed-Pitch Propeller
- Side-by-Side Seating
- Linked Rudder and Aileron Control System
- Tricycle Gear w/ Steerable Nose Wheel
- Last Flown in 1973
- Logbooks and Trailer Included
GET THE BaT DAILY EMAIL
Your daily digest of everything
happening on the site.
Recent BaT Features
BaT Alumni Gathering: June 25 in Seattle at The Shop – REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!
June 25, 2022
PVGP Schenley Park Race Weekend
July 23 - 24, 2022
Lake Tahoe Wooden Boat Concours d’Elegance
August 12 - 14, 2022
BaT Alumni Gathering – WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca During Car Week
August 20, 2022
BaT Alumni Gathering – The Shop in Texas
September 17, 2022
Current BaT Auctions
This Ercoupe 415-C was built in January 1946 by the Engineering & Research Corporation (ERCO) and was acquired by the seller in 2019 from the spouse of its original owner. The Ercoupe was designed in 1930s with the intention of creating a safe and stable airframe that would be easy to fly. The model has gentle stall characteristics and is equipped with tricycle landing gear, a simplified control system, and a large canopy for good visibility. This example, serial number 306, logged more than 800 hours of flying time up through the 1970s but has not been in the air since 1973 or serviced since 1978. A Continental C-75 flat-four engine remains fitted along with a Sensenich fixed-pitch propeller, though the aircraft will require significant work before it can flown again. This Ercoupe project is now offered in Pennsylvania with a trailer, canopy cover, spare parts, logbooks, and FAA registration in the seller’s name.
Designed by former NACA engineer Fred Weick, the Ercoupe was developed to be spin-proof with no dangerous stall characteristics. It was certified by the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) as “characteristically incapable of spinning.” Ercoupes were primarily built shortly after the conclusion of the Second World War, though approximately 100 were manufactured in 1940 before the US entered the war. ERCO produced more than 4,000 Ercoupes in 1946, and other manufacturers would go on to build variations of the design up through 1970.
This example is equipped with slide-down side windows and features a mostly unpainted exterior with blue trim. Dents and corrosion in the skins on the fuselage and wings can be seen up close in the gallery along with numerous imperfections in the blue trim paint. One wingtip light is in need of repair, and a crack is visible in the front windshield.
The Ercoupe was designed with a linked-rudder-and-aileron control system, making the aircraft simpler to fly and eliminating the need for the pilot to operate the rudders on the twin vertical stabilizers. The plane also features tricycle undercarriage with a steerable nose wheel and trailing-link main gear. Old Goodyear tires on this example exhibit dry rot and cracking.
The cockpit is equipped with side-by-side seating for two and dual control yokes. Seats are trimmed in leather, and a canvas-lined storage compartment is located under a leather cargo cover behind the seats. The seat fabric is faded and bunched, and the cargo cover shows signs of fading.
The two-control system means that the aircraft does not have rudder pedals, though a brake pedal is located on the left side of the floorboard. Instrumentation includes a compass, altimeter, vertical speed indicator, air speed indicator, turn-and-bank indicator, tachometer, ammeter, and oil temperature gauge. Controls for throttle, mixture, carb heat, elevator trim, cabin heat, and landing lights are also present, though the aircraft is not equipped with a radio or transponder. A dash plaque notes that the plane is “characteristically incapable of spinning.” Black paint on the instrument panel is cracked and peeling, and printed labels have been affixed next to some of the controls.
The 188ci Continental C-75 is an air-cooled flat-four that was rated for 75 horsepower at 2,275 rpm when new. The two-blade Sensinich prop has a fixed pitch of 48″ and its arc measures 74″ in diameter.
Logbook entries indicate the plane was last flown in 1973 and last received maintenance in 1978. The logbook shows just over 842 hours of use as of 1973.
An Imperial tandem-axle trailer is included in the sale along with a cockpit cover, fuel bladder, tow bar, spare parts, and logbooks.